The why’s and why’s for Blogging

“In my experience, there is no such thing as luck.” is a quote Alec Guiness (as Ben Kenobi from 1977’s Star Wars) made famous and continues to hold today. So when two out of three recent business workshops that I went to were advocating for the consistent production of a blog, I wanted to research how this had happened. Was it just dumb luck that both presenters (both were self-promoting a book) were saying almost the same thing? Obi-Wan Kenobi wasn’t buying it.

Great Blogs

Google has continued to evolve its indexing algorithm to provide searchers with the most relevant and up-to-date information for its users. Blogs are a great way to show up in Google search results, and many times, people search specifically for a great blog post for a ‘cliff-notes’ version for a solution to a problem they have. The best-case scenario for a blog is it asserts you as an expert with that particular topic and gives you credibility. And a notch up on google rankings never hurts.

Ugly Blogs

The worst-case scenario for a blog is incorrect grammar or spelling, damaging your credibility. I started using Grammarly on a trial basis to help with my spelling. Realizing that it was next level with spelling and grammar, I signed up. Grammarly helps with my overall writing because it takes my jumbled-up sentences and improves them dramatically. If you write for a platform that the general public reads, this app will help you more than I can describe here.

Your Story

Blogging allows you to tell your story from your unique viewpoint. For example, maybe you feel like too many articles push one agenda and do not talk about the entire topic. Here’s your chance to tell both sides. You get to write the kind of articles that you would find engaging.

Content marketing and the 1%

In 2019, found that only 1% of internet users create new content while the remaining 99% of users view it. While this number has grown since the pandemic, content production continues to be valuable. The people producing this content are known mainly as influencers. Influencer marketing has seen exponential growth and has a bright future as a tactic for savvy marketers with budgets. 

Creative writing

As this is only the fourth blog entry for my new business, I must admit that creative writing is a challenge. Sometimes it comes easy to me, sometimes not. As mentioned above, Grammarly has been a game-changer for my writing in that the program can also suggest re-worded sentences when I can’t be as concise as I should be. In the featured image for this post, I put a screencap of things that Grammarly also helps writers with, such as clarity, engagement, and delivery. For the record, I do not get any reimbursement from Grammarly. I’m just a satisfied customer. 

Go Long

While my blog posts have been somewhere in the 350-word range, I have learned that optimal blogs contain 2,100 – 2,400 words. That is to say, blog posts with more than 1,000 words will rank better. The best advice here is to write your blog for people to read it and not write for search engines. Because while it’s better to rank higher, it won’t matter when a prospect reads an article that doesn’t help them. 

Frequency and Consistency

Posting every two weeks is the general-consensus advice for blog posting. But only post topics that compel you. If the subject does not enthrall you, how can you engage the reader? I generally have 2 or 3 articles I am working on, adding to them as I find pieces that fit. I’m more concerned with quality than quantity. Thanks for reading. #Blogging #Grammarly